In the framework ofthe Swedish support to the Ministry of Interior and the State Police for community policing programme three LSMS surveys have been carried out so far.
The first LSMS was conducted in October 2013 in 10 pilot areas (one commissariat – two different defined areas) in districts of Berat, Durres, Elbasan, Fier, Gjirokaster, Korca, Tirana, Lezha, Shkodra, and Vlora.
The third round of LSMS was carried out in April-May 2015 in all 30 areas of 10 districts and results have been compared with those of the two first LSMS rounds.
Local Safety Measurement System (LSMS) is used to provide information on:
- The level of safety as it is perceived by the community, including real crime levels, disorder problems, traffic security; and
- The level of community satisfaction with the police work, at defined areas.
Local Safety Measurement System provides information on 5 important issues for safety and order in community.
- Problems and Disorder in the community
- Crime Exposure of residents,
- Residents ‘concerns on safety in their community and living areas
- Concrete feelings of fear and insecurity (concerns on security issues)
- Satisfaction with police work in the community